Pages

Thursday, 12 March 2015

GORKAMORKA!

Had a game of Gorkamorka last night. It was a blast! 

Here is a rough summery of what went down....





We all placed our trucks down, laden with Orks. The rule was made clear, any Ork that fell of his vehicle was counting it as actually falling off in game. 4 Ork clans met in a barren desert. 

The first player cautiously drove forward waiting to see how the others would act. The second player moved his truck and bike past me and fired a Harpoon into my Yoof (young ork) knocking the poor guy down. Angry with rage I ordered my truck to T-Bone his. All was going well as his driver was shocked, his vehicle was on the verge of exploding and the engine had been immobilized. BUT I rolled on my damage chart and my vehicle exploded! My warband was thrown around randomly and many of them had been knocked down! Bad start! 

The 4th player emptied his truck and prepared an advance forward towards my stunned crew. 

Back to the first players turn, he decided to zoom his truck forward towards the 4th player. Taking the risk he continually zoomed and then his truck gave out and he could go no further. The 2nd player began to mob my downed Orks and started to stab them until death. I decided it was time I fled the battle field and my short time in the game went with a bang. The 4th player desperately tried to get his vehicle ready for player ones advance and his orks desperately tried to run from the speeding truck. 

Player 1s turn, imagine 9 orks, running around, 1 truck full of orks at full speed running them down, sending orks flying in all directions, spinning and wiping out the fleeing orks. Doing this for a few turns until his vehicle cant take the high speeds and the truck rams head forth into a pillar of rock! Surrounded by angry and bruised hit and run victims with axes...

Suffice to say, it did not end well for any clan of Orks in that battle. 

I am now thoroughly hooked! 


The game of Gorkamorka is pretty cool. As far as I have been told the setting is a bunch of orks are stuck on a planet and cannot decide how to leave the planet. They end up building a Gorkamorka (whatever that is...) and frequently battle each other in the desert with vehicles. There are humans trying to be like Orks too, and gretchen and so on as well! 

To start the game is simple. build yourself a vehicle and get yourself some orks (although as time goes on you may end up with a lot more vehicles etc). Everything is upgradable, weather its your guns, your vehicles or even your Orks very limbs! 

Apparently the greatest fun to be had is during a campaign, the sheer customization goes hand in hand with the Ork style and society to end up with the oddest oddeties among your gang. 

So since last night it has been decided we should do a small Ork band each. I have begun work on mine using an 18th century cannon and a chimera hull. Who knows what else we end up making for this. 


For those who want some demolition derby orkyness I suggest getting into Gorkamorka. Its a game of risks which can pay off hugely, or ruin your trucks greatly! 

I deeply recommend

 trying this game! Even if you are not an Ork Lover!

12 comments:

  1. Well there's a blast from the past... never played it but recall it being launched... it was largely met by bemusement from my local bunch of 'serious' 40k players back then... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This game cannot be taken seriously. You can lose everything on 1 dice roll (like my exploding vehicle) BUT its a lot of fun regardless of what happens. So I can see why some wouldn't like it due to its randomness.

      Delete
  2. Dat'z me trak - Spike!

    Some how I've managed to sink 62 teef into that bad boy. Gork knows how. Big grabber, 'Eavy Shoota, reinforced ram, loadsa ammo, and at least one kustom job to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you did a great job on it mate!

      I especially like all the details you chucked on there! I hope it has run down many foes for your entertainment haha!

      Delete
    2. Cheers!

      It's seen its fair share of action! The gunner is BS6 and has the Dakka! Dakka! skill that lets him reroll sustained fire dice. The 'Eavy Shoota has been kustomised to be +1 Strength (making it S6 - nasty!).

      Ded killy...

      Delete
    3. Geeze, and I thought my standard gunner was good at knocking down enemies. Makes me look forward to progression campaigns with my mates!

      Delete
  3. The campaign and the narratives that emerge from them is fantastic fun. Perhaps not as serious as the kind of stories one can weave with Necromunda but brilliant in its own way.

    I've fond memories of Liam's Diggas finding out that shiny thing they've unearthed is brutally murderous, Ross' Freebootas ending up more bionik than flesh, Richard's Nob with half a dread for a shield, and who could forget Matt's fiendishly devious Muties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea we had the same joys in Mordheim recently, but I can tell the Ork one will be a lot more comedic, which is nice to have every so often. Just that randomness really makes the game shine. Especially when you consider the long term possibilities of these events.

      Delete
  4. Mordheim is brilliant too - I'm looking forward to playing that again at some point. Another excellent game from the old days. Ye gods, it's probably older than most new 40K players at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are certainly older than I am! But if it weren't for the old school players it would probably be dead too.

      Delete
  5. Awesome game I would love to find some players in my area (washington dc)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to get a game like this going is simply have a cool demo game for everyone to watch/try. This game is fun and you will definitely get some hooks I think.

      Cheers :)

      Delete