Pages

Thursday, 18 December 2014

Perhaps the Greatest Guard Project Ever Attempted

So after yesterdays small nostalgia post I had an idea... I wanted to have a model of each soldier depicted in the first Imperial Guard Codex. 

Listed in that book are 51 Guardsmen not including Cavalry and Tank Commanders (unsure if those will be done). So this is the introduction post to this project, as each step is complete I will post it here for C&C and hopefully this project can be as good as I imagine. 

So lets go on to the details of this project...

Just my favorite model...



I have asked Andy (the painter) to do this project at the highest standard. This is for both painting and converting work. He will source the bits (with my help) and each Guardsmen will be a mini project for the sake of pricing and ideas etc. So here are the famous pages I am talking about:



So the first model that is being worked on is the Fists of Lagus from the Planet Patria. They held out against a kroot invasion for 47 years. That is all that is known of these soldiers, but they sure as hell look cool! Right now ideas are being bounced around on this fella, but you will be updated when I am on how it goes. 


Ultimately I want to have all these men displayed in a fancy case with each one named and given some fluff shown in the codex. Both Andrew and I are really keen on this as not only is it a cool piece of Guardsmen History its also pretty unique and sure to be a piece to behold should we succeed. 

We will go left to right through the list. 

So wish us luck guys, if you have any ideas feel free to bounce them around! 

25 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty interesting, good luck and i look forward to seeing more soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I actually have Kelsey to thank, this is part of my Christmas gift.

      Delete
    2. Ser, you have my brain and abilities to find obscure things at your disposal, what is thy bidding Master Howell?

      Delete
  2. That's great, I will need the first IG Codex to add realness of 1st Ed to my Only War rpg campaign I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes definitely. While the only war RPG has some cool background and fluff, so does the first guard Codex. Passages like a letter from a Guardsmen and so on. Well worth the read!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Unfortunately they did not exist back then. So they will be among the few to be left out.

      Delete
  4. A great project! I'll be watching eagerly. If you don't get around to the rough riders I'm slowly chipping away at all of the ones listed from all background sources. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome! Yea I feel less bad if I stop at the infantry then! Ill be sure to check out your work mate (I actually like your work). Hopefully all goes well with the project then, would hate to disappoint!

      Delete
    2. Some of these will definitely be easier then others. The lucky 13s are going to be an interesing build!

      Delete
    3. Yes some are gonna be short work conversion wise, but the woad warriors and Morbidian Skull Takers etc are all gonna prove to be a challenge. Both in model and paintjob really. Im personally looking forward to choosing the basing on each one to be honest.

      Delete
  5. Hey, this sounds like an awesome project, and I'll be swinging past here to check out how you get along! In terms of this first chap, I came across an eagle's head that might come in handy: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lothern-Skycutter-High-Elves-EAGLE-HEAD-Warhammer-Games-Workshop-c-/281532468938?pt=Games_US&hash=item418ca48eca (it's from the High Elves range) and was thinking that the tabard and the purity seals could be had off any Space Marine sprue. The legs look standard Cadian, and for the armoured torso I'm thinking something from the fantasy range...

    Anyway, looks cool, and I can't wait to see the end result (maybe some kind of parade on Terra, celebrating the diverse regiments of the Imperial Guard.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool thanks for the ideas mate, i'll put them on the planning table. :) More ideas the merrier!

      I actually really like your parade idea... Ill get to work on a cool name along those lines for this project.

      Thanks heaps for the support, I really hope it all works out. Feel free to put forth ideas any time!

      Delete
  6. Bonus points if you run them as a single Conscripts squad. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah I cant do that! That would be like a museum using their display pieces for fun... well that would be cool... but it simply cant happen :P Doomed for the display case these men are.

      Delete
  7. Never seen that, that's awesome, loo forward to seeing how they turn out. for the first one torso empire free company militia kit comes to mind, head piece, a modified eagle head from the marine commander backpack.. very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I actually think I may have the [iece you are talking about... I might go have a look.

      If you are a Guard player the 3rd edition Guard book is definitely needed!

      Delete
  8. I love this project. I just packed away that codex for my move, and I have many fond memories of that book. Looking forward to see this taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, as you probably have heard many times from me its my favourite book of the Guard! Every so often I look over it and read a few pages. Good luck with the move though, hopefully you can get back to working on those awesome conversions again.

      Delete
  9. What a truly excellent project. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to see a tank from BlitzKraft V !

      Delete
    2. If I get the tanks done at the very end (if I do... its a big project without them!). Thanks for the luck mate. Im hoping for an update on model number 1 very soon, so keep an eye out!

      Delete