Pages

Sunday, 7 September 2014

Starting Bolt Action!

I have starting getting an interest in Bolt Action from Warlord Games and have decided to buy some forces for the game. In an effort to start getting more Historical Games played in my group, and Flames of War already getting its foothold in the club, Bolt Action seems perfect to nudge a few more players into something outside of 40k games. 

My first purchase was when I came across a Japanese and Soviet Starter set for a relatively cheap price and decided to buy them. Warlord games sells boxes of 1000 point armies in boxes for new players who don't exactly know where to start with buying an army. From what I can gather most of these sets have 1 tank, 2 squads of basic infantry (with upgrades), 1 commander and a few support weapons. So to begin the game there is a lot of variety to get hang of. To carry on the theme of my Flames of War Japanese, I personally will focus on them as my force while the Soviets can be the opponents army. 

My second purchase was the Bolt Action Collection. This has all the books for the game, some limited edition miniatures for each nation and a box set of choice. I decided another box of Japanese wwouldn'thurt, so that was my add on choice. I was pleasantly surprised at the price of this set. I payed $253 NZD for a Rule Book, books for 7 Nations, 8 Limited edition models and 1 box of 30 Japanese Soldiers (of a choice of many boxed sets) with free shipping. In contrast, to play 7th edition 40k, I had to pay $270 NZD for one rule book and one Imperial Guard Codex. So the total retail to get 2 people playing this game (and more!) is $500 NZD which will get you all the books you will need, 2 full sized armies (and more models) along with over a hundred miniatures. 

Definitely one of the cheaper games to get into! The rules themselves are also incredibly accessible. From what I can gather from tutorials and reviews, its essentially 40k with a few twists. Those twists are generalization of gear, generalization of stats and more importantly the I go You Go turn sequence is abandoned. Of course, this means that historical accuracy is out the window but fair balanced game play is right in the house. If this appeals to you or not is up to you to decide. But no one can argue for a game where 2 people want to have a quick shoot up with even chances at winning, this game does the job. 

The turn sequence is something I really look forward to. Instead of the usual way of going about turns, you get 1 coloured dice for each of your units and put it in a bag. Your opponent puts a different coloured dice in that same bag for all of his units. You essentially draw one dice from this hat, and if the colour is yours you get to activate one of your units with it. Units have a range of orders to choose from ranging from sprinting to over watch orders. Once your unit has completed its order, you draw another dice from the bag. You may get to activate another unit or your opponent will activate one of his. 

So in the next month I hope to be playing a few games of this and see how it goes. I essentially have everything I need to play a game off the bat so all I can do now is hope the game catches on. 

Anyway, here are some quick links to get started if you wanna look around. 


All you really need, is the rule book, and 1 nation books to go with your starter sets. But if you plan on trying to get a bunch of people interested or run demo games, then the collection is recommended.

Another thing to consider, is how these rules can be used for 40k. I think the Bolt Action rules would make a great set up for kill team with a bit of work. Something I may try one day. 

So here are my pregame thoughts on Bolt Action and so far, no complaints.

 

10 comments:

  1. Must admit I was tempted by this... but have held off for now.. However I'll certainly give it a look over if you get it going down at the club...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill let you know how I go mate. If I get a bunch of people to get forces then it may well be worth giving it a try with us. All depends how the tutorial games go!

      Delete
  2. One of the hobby stores here has a group going I think. I've seen their table display, and it really looks good. Of course, I've been tempted by it for the longest time. Have you thought of using your Japanese troops for both Bolt Action and 40k? A Rising Sun Imperial Guard army would look great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, before buying my Praetorians almost a year ago now, I was gonna do Japanese instead. I came very close but ended up with Praetorians instead (because I can use japan in FoW and now Bolt Action). But once they are painted it can just be another platoon on men to add. Judging by the set thats a lot of points of guard right there!

      The rules are great for this game. I havent even got the rule book and I pretty much know how to play the game. Just need some stats and special rules and I can pretty much play the game. Recommended for sure.

      Delete
    2. I learned a large part of the basics here

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPzl120FCew&list=PLZ3wfiPbNx4STVbWJXILxOMqsKB6UMS9a

      The rest I learned watching batreps and so on. Aside from stats, I think I can play it pretty well.

      Might be worth checking these out.

      Delete
  3. So is the size difference noticibile between GW and WG? I was actually thinking of doing just that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill put some pictures up for you ASAP. They are the "same" scale but GW is heroic so the usual problem is GW will be chunkyer. But seriously, drop the money on a starter set (the one with lots of infantry and a tank, or even the polish one with rough riders) and you will have a small army with lots of bits and bobs to play around with. Who cares about scale at the end of the day :P

      Delete
  4. I like the use of the old Epic activation system. I've actually been considering trying some 40K with the Epic rules as the scale of the conflict in 40k has bloated past what the skirmish system can handle in my opinion.

    I look forward to following your progress as my exposure to other game systems is really souring me on 40k and I am trying to find a way to still use the models and background I enjoy without the clunky bloated ruleset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that how Epic used to be? Very cool. This rule set simplifies everything so it certainly doesnt have a bloated effect 40k has. I have heard and can see its fast and smooth playing with only few errors in the game. Also, the rules for everyone except china is available I heard so heaps of freedom to change up the rules to fit some 40k style models.

      I will give my thoughts on how suitable these rules are for 40k (more thank likely they are, since its made by the guys who made 40k, and it really shows) and hopefully it gives you something exciting to play.

      Delete