Pages

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

The Hobby Side of Things: Progress - Concern - Motivation

A few things before I start. The Ork Hunt will commence tonight! But the Comic Batrep will be written over a few days so that its not rushed. Also the Badger Mounts have arrived along with the Special Mount which will be revealed alongside them soon! Things are progressing hobby wise so far. 

Also here is a preview of my "Demons" currently being painted by Oliver from Equinox Painting

The Idea behind the usage of these guys as demons is that they sit in some kind of sickly green teleportation goo (the green slime) and when the Priest summons them they get zapped onto the battle field to do my bidding. I did this so they end up with that Mechanicum feel and also look somewhat like Demon Spawn. There are some Flamer guys coming, along with a Greater Demon from the FW range (see below)! The gun will be changed a bit in the above and some green goo will be added to the model, but all in all thats what to expect! So thanks Oliver, I cannot wait to admire and use these guys! keep up the good work!


The Tankettes seen here have arrived and are waiting to be assembled. Out of the box they are pretty good and I look forward to having them trudge around the battle field. 


The Badger Riders Concept found here will be well on its way to being done soon. The test models will be done after the Ork Hunt battle report is complete. Judging by the models it will be very easy once I find a good way to get the riders to fit. I have many options to use its just a matter of witch are easiest. Really looking forward to this one!


Now the WW1 project has stalled at the moment. I have recently moved house in the transition (hopefully) to buying my first home. The place I have moved to is very cheap so we can sufficiently grow our savings in a short amount of time. So far its working great for real life! The down side is I dont have the space to paint. Makes me regret not painting a lot more when I had the chance! I am currently looking for a commission painter to finish the project for me (no other commission painter so far seems as good as Oliver in the above overall) but I am not in a rush. 

This got me thinking about how important it is to have a dedicated painting space. When my painting station was set up it was so much easier to get painting. At the moment, I would have to find space then set up the paints and get out other hobby related gear. It seems far easier (and more fun) to simply convert and put models together instead! 

I dont know how much painting I can do in my current living situation, but at least I can showcase commissioned painters and watch my hobby ideas come to life through other peoples skill and talent. 

Anyway, these are the updates and so forth. But soon I will be on my way to slay some Orks! I am hoping to get more Flames of War in as well, if not I will simply kill more lesser races tonight.

Cheers guys


21 comments:

  1. I know I told you about these already, but you could get something like this:
    http://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/paints-paint-racks/products/laptop-paint-station
    Then add to it as needed, they have stuff for holding the water cup, as well as two sizes of paint pot holders
    And besides that it seems like everything is going according to plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you told me about that. I was seriously considering that last night, but unfortunately I dont really have space for that either. If I had space to store it with the paints and so on still in it, I would have it!

      Other than that, indeed things are going to plan :)

      Delete
    2. Well, why not use a suitcase and line it in some hallobaloo or whatnot and such

      Delete
    3. That... that might just work. Painting station in a suit case. Portable and storable. I will look at suitcases next time I am shopping. You may have fixed my problem!

      Delete
    4. You see, I am that guy who comes up with ideas people think are odd but then, think WHY on EARTH didn;'t I think of that. Maybe use plasticard and things and stuff to keep the paint centered.
      Also, I got to admit I really like the Anvil Industry stuff, in particular their Afterlife guys, can anyone say Tempestus Substitutes?!

      Delete
    5. I agree haha, Ill let you know how well it works if I can find the right case!

      I agree, their troops, suits, attack dogs and drone units are really cool. Its another one of those bait armies... Cant start another but boy, they make it hard.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your "Daemons" are going to look amazing when they're done. I still think your men fell to Chaos. It's just that Tzeentch is having them take a more familiar form to ease their fall...

    Glad the Badgers got to you intact and in good time (Lesson painfully learned on how to ship items to your side of the world in the future)

    Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh, as long as my men and I are convinced they aren't demons it will all be ok...

      Yea, I will take that lesson in all my trades from now on. But they are great. The pose and everything is just very cool. Looking forward to it!

      Cheers dude. I cant wait to use them in battle.

      Delete
    2. Wait... The Praetorians... FELL!!!! MADNESS *Three shots ring out* "QUITE YOU DOGS!" Yes commissar...

      Delete
    3. You'd make a good Praetorian with that attitude...

      Question nothing.

      Delete
  3. "HEY!!! You can't question that question, as the question would be undone by the questioning of it, and thus make the question redundant, and therefor, you are hereby sentenced to death for questioning my question of questions and nothing can be question by questioniness, fear the emperor, and long live no questions!" *BLAM!*
    "Ummm, commissar?"
    "YES DOG?"
    "Um, yeah, my name is Caaarl, not DOG, but, uh, why can't Joe ask what was for dinner?"
    "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..." *BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM* "NEVER QUESTION THE COOK!!!!!!!!" *BLAM*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ork hunt was very very close. It was one of those games that was close to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see the daemons taking shape. Looking forward to the Ork bashing batrep! How long are you going to be in transition? From my experience, don't sweat it. You'll get back into the hobby swing soon enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 2 years we hope to buy a house, and go travel to one of the oriental countries. Which is now very easily achievable given the current living situation as long as we can keep to the plan. So its a stepping stone towards our future. 2 years sounds like a long time, but im only 20, so im sure its worth it.

      I still have a little space to assemble and convert (my favorite bit!) so not all is lost.

      Delete
    2. It alwys makes these things easier if you have a goal in mind and your right, two years isnt really a long time in the grand scheme of things. I've been in similar situation in the past, but I'm 30 now, with a wife and two kids, a nice house and I dont regret making the sacrifices I had to make to achieve it. Although I do wish I'd kept my sports car, even if it would now be ridiculously impractical now!

      Delete
    3. Yes you are right, 2 years of this now, to cut many more years off in the future. I just noticed how many people dont buy a house until they are 30-40 or even older, and I would rather have a house paid off much sooner than near retirement and so on.

      Yea I watched some stuff go thinking "im gonna miss that in 5 years". I guess soon I'll know how you feel about missing something awesome haha.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an exciting stage of your life! I've been traveling for the past couple of weeks myself, exploring some national parks in North America. Good fun. Let me know if your travels bring you to Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I heard only good about those parks from family. Im jealous mate! Sounds awesome.

      Malaysia, China, Tokyo or South (and maybe North if possible) Korea are on the maybe list. Gotta narrow it down over the next few months. If Malaysia is chosen I will be sure to let you know!

      Delete
    2. I'd recommend Singapore, loved it when I was there, a really nice clean and friendly place.

      Delete
    3. Singapore sounds very cool. My father went there a few years ago, that was actually on the list but didnt write it down for some reason!

      Delete