Pages

Thursday, 26 June 2014

7th Edition Maelstorm Battle

The Necrons rose to fight the 8th Praetorians in the ash wastes. An open and desolate battlefield proved most deadly to vulnerable riflemen. Was a great game and casualties amassed on all sides. What was great about it was the Maelstorm cards forcing our armies to close the gap and led to brutal and harsh fire fights. 




This time around I might do all the text then have all the photos at the end. 

My list contained (all officers as usual had Plasma Pistol and Power Sword)

Company command squad
Banner
Plasma X2
Vox caster
Psyker
Officer of Fleet

3X commissars

Platoon command
Plasma X3
Vox caster

Platoon Squad (X2)
Plasma
Vox caster

Platoon Squad

Veteran Squad
Plasma X3
Vox caster
Carapace
Cloaks

Veteran Squad
Melta Gun X3
Vox Caster
Carapace
Cloaks

Hell Hound

His list was simple

1 Lord
60 Warriors
1 Flyer (cant remember what its called)

Pre Game

Before deployment

I deployed and started first. The enemy smartly placed all the objectives in one zone as close as possible which resulted in a huge advantage. I had mine spread out close to my area. We rolled a one on the mission chart so it was diagonal deployment and I got first turn. 

Turn 1

My army zoomed forward to try clear some objectives for me to take. I had to take the objectives that where on his side of the board, which I knew would be suicide but it looked cool so I did it anyway. The hell hound took out roughly 11 Necron warriors and the rest of my flank opened up and killed all the warriors except 4. The rest of my army zoomed forward. The Necrons re animated 10/16 of the fallen warriors and continued on. I had an objective that gave me points for killing a unit and I hoped I could kill the last 3 but didnt have enough fire power. 

He moved around his men and using massed gauss fire reduced my hell hound to one hull point. He killed about 5 men. He also claimed 3 objectives from his cards and gained 3 victory points. This is something that needs to be addressed somewhat but im sure we did something wrong. 

Turn 2

My hell hound Killed all but 3 warriors holding the fort. The reanimation brought 8 of them back. Some minor sporadic fire was shot but most of my army could not draw sight to any units. Instead I advanced forward. 

This turn he ripped open my tank and crippled my Plasma veterans who where reduced to one sergeant. His flyer killed a fair few too with tesla bouncing off a few squads and his main gun doing decent damage. My command squad lost all its assets and things looked grim. 

Turn 3

This turn I wiped out one unit of Warriors finally and the sporadic gunfire killed a few crons here and there. But this was my first victory point of the game. Other than that nothing else happened. 

His men advanced rapidly killing off many of my men leaving me with pockets of soldiers on the right flank. the platoon squad and sergeant had lost their lives to Gauss fire. His men took refuge in the fence fort again and his flyer wreaked havoc a few units largely doing nothing that turn bar killing 5 platoon members.

Turn 4

My men closed in on the fort and my scotts and company command took refuge behind the building. My combined fire killed 17/18 necrons in the fort but 6 rose from the dead to continue the fight. 

His flyer destroyed my commander in a violent death. Combined necron fire reduced my Scottish their bare minimum forces and the Platoon command fell leaving me with nearly nothing. Next turn would be my final chance at victory.

Turn 5

I killed his warlord! Only for him to get back up.... but other than that I couldnt do anything else but advance as it took all my fire power to kill the lord. 

As expected the Scottish fell. Leaving the Squats and platoon squad led by the last commissar to carry on. 

Turn 6

A squat threw a defensive grenade and blinded (and killed one Necron) the squad as they charged into battle only losing one man to defensive fire. I killed one Necron in combat to the loss of no men. The combat damage was greatly reduced due to the defensive grenade. Just while typing this I realized only my Veterans had defensive grenades so this was a mistake. But he wont mind as he got to defeat his arch enemy. haha all part of the fun.

His turn came killing off a decent chunk of men. But I hold and kill no one in return. 

Turn 7

My men try desperately to fight on but are unable to hurt the enemy. They are destroyed by the Automatons and the Praetorian 8th ceased to exist. 

End Game Stuff

The Praetorian 8th Garrison had been 100% wiped out and the fleets landing forces failed to reach their targets as they fell to Necrons who had been waiting for them on arrival. The planet has been written off as a lost zone and reported to the high command. No one saw or will remember the final charge of the 8th, nor will the Squats will be known for fighting to the death alongside their comrades. Xeno filth have the day, but soon retaliation forces will arrive. 

The Maelstorm missions didnt end up deciding the game, although his draw of the cards would have given him undoubted victory. BUT the cards made us close in on each other and it was pretty close for the first parts of the game. As usual his re animation rolls where good and i suffered for that. But model of the match easily goes to the Hell hound who killed almost 40 models single handily (before they got up again) and took a lot of return fire prolonging the lives of many. 

The photos arent as good as last report but hopefully you see some cool models clashing on the field. Next week I may have to fight an Ork Waaaaaagh! So lets hope this happens. 

Cheers guys. 














































































22 comments:

  1. Well fought! My Catachans and Brandenbergers shall avenge the 8th.

    (Must find a local Necron player now)

    Love the pics!
    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muscle of the Catachan might be able to overcome the Necrons where my discipline could not haha.

      Im still working the kinks in the pics but im glad someone enjoyed them! Cheers mate.

      Delete
    2. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Got so inspired I actually ordered some kilted legs. Will try those out - after I finish my Catachan and Ravenwing reinforcements

      Delete
    3. Im excited! Got some Tanith being done below along with some mixed gender guard and now some Scottish! Gonna see some exciting projects throughout the community soon!

      Glad you liked it mate.

      Delete
  2. wow sounded like it was great fun suppose you can't put a good robot down
    hopefully the orks will understand that they should stay down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, its very ungentlemanly to not give your enemy their rightful kill. At least Orks fight properly! I guess we will find out next week.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I look forward to slaying some fungus.

      Delete
  4. Another great (and bloody) Battle Report. Where did you get Praetorian Squats? Those are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Emperor demands bodies and so bodies we give. :P Thanks man.

      The Squats are from Bob Olley. He is now a freelance sculpter I think? He used to sculpt for GW back in the day.

      http://www.olleysarmies.co.uk/home.html

      I dont know if the Praetorians are up yet, I got them on a kickstarter mid last year and cant find them on his store. But there are other Squat options there!

      Delete
    2. You're a fountain of useful links when it comes to third party miniatures. :)
      I'm Still contemplating that Tanith army.

      I've talked myself into starting with a Kill Team.

      Delete
    3. Yea I will have to get a 3rd party model link list on my blog page soon.

      And at least do kill team... :P. I would love to see them done. Using Vic minis?

      Delete
    4. Yeah the ones you pointed me to last time we spoke (typed? ;) ) Such brilliant figures.

      Delete
    5. I think they are being re done to resin at the moment. The resin from there is amazing so its well worth the wait. But yea everything about them just yells Tanith. Especially the hair. It makes me want to do a squad! But I have enough on my plate at the moment haha, Ill just have to watch your project and hope it doesnt make me follow in your footsteps!

      Delete
  5. You are an insidiously effective salesmen my good man. I fired off a message about their resin conversion. And down the rabbit hole once more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a passion for something, you can sell it. For example I tried being a salesmen at the company I work for but I do not love boats enough to have that passion. So maybe if I owned a gaming store...

      The Scottish you see above are resin. I wish my Praetorians where resin when I got them but i was a week too early. Superior to metal in many ways. When they are done i'd love to see some pictures. So be sure to keep me updated!

      Delete
  6. Hopefully they will be available in Resin sooner rather than later. Either way you'll be the first to see them as I paint them up. Thanks again for the heads up on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem mate. I look forward to it as you do. Good luck.

      Delete
  7. Nice report. Damn, how do you win if opponent keeps getting their casualties back? Seems a bit unfair!
    Good pics, though I prefer have them interspersed at the relevant points in the text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea its a bit soul crushing to see all them get back up. But if they didnt get back up I would have won the game pretty quick!

      Cheers for that. I was a bit lazy and decided to not sift through all 78 photos into turns haha, but yea its alright next report will go back to the old system.

      Delete
  8. Very enjoyable, love the pics too!
    I had a squad of Vic's female and male Arcadian's rock up recently. wow they are nice. have you noticed that the resin bits are slightly smaller then the metal ones? I only have the Arcadians in resin and so I'm not sure if it is just those sculpts or all of the new resin stuff. I like the new scale. It is more 28mm rather then 30mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they look less "filled out" if you know what I mean. The details a deeper and crisper so i think it kinda gives it the slim look. Also i saw comparison shots of other brands models in all the different materials and Resin etc shrinks whereas the metal ones didnt suffer as much. But I like the resin ones more personally as they look more natural. More 28mm than 30 as you said.

      Those Arcadians sold like crazy! You should put some up on your blog so I can take a good look at them :P

      Thanks for reading dude. I really enjoy putting these up and since all you guys seem to enjoy it I definitely will try putting more on here!

      Delete